Sunday, April 3, 2016

Spiritual Thoughts

I've had a couple of spiritual experiences lately that I've wanted to record so that I don't forget.
I February I got to go to the temple a few times. First I went with Cory for a regular session. My heart has been heavy with my wife/mother tasks and on top of that my calling as a Young Women's president for our ward. I feel like I have served in the YW for way too long, and at times I feel the weight of this calling crushing me down. I went to the temple seeking comfort and guidance for how much longer I must endure and give my best to this calling. It is so nice to know I have a Heavenly Father that listens to my problems and answers my questions in His right time. This specific day at the temple I was reminded of the covenants I've made with God to give my ALL to Him and His church. I don't get to choose when I'm done, He does. I got reassurance that my family will be taken care of, and that I don't need to worry about my kids missing me, if I'm doing my best in my calling.
I then got to go back to the temple a week later to assist with the youth doing baptism for the dead. Again I felt a feeling of love from my Heavenly Father, and I was grateful I got to serve with the young women.
Then a few days later I returned to the temple, this time late at night to help clean the house of the Lord. What a neat experience! Once you get there, you have a little devotional, change into white scrubs, get cleaning instructions and assignments and then off you go to clean. I got vacuum duty and got to vacuum the temple halls and veil room. It was so neat to wonder the rooms of the temple "freely" and feel the spirit of the Lord even when cleaning.
In the beginning of the year I promised the Young Women that if they did 3 value experiences and 1 project from their Personal Progress I would take them to San Diego as a reward trip. Out of my 8 active young women I had 6 of them complete the goal. Only 5 went though because 1 got sick.
We had a great experience. The trip turned out to be way better and more spiritual than I could have anticipated. We drove straight to the San Diego temple and because they were closed for cleaning we only got visit the grounds and had a devotional.
After the temple we went to the beach and spent 3 hours playing. The girls loved it! Kate and Cory joined me on this trip and it was Kate's first time at the beach. She loved crawling on the sand, but wanted nothing to do with the water. I don't blame her, the water was freezing cold, the girls were crazy to play for that long in it. That night we checked in the hotel, had dinner and chatted for a little.
The next morning we started with a devotional in my room. I gave this devotional and felt inspired in telling them to work in gaining a testimony now when they are young. I also told them to write down their spiritual experiences in a journal. These memories will help them in the future when they have times of trials and doubt. I encouraged them to go back to their thoughts and writings and remember how the Lord has been there and answered their prayers.
Devotional was followed by an amazing breakfast at the hotel. Wow, best hotel breakfast ever! I've eaten better food before, but this was a nice hot food breakfast included in the price of the room, usually we have to pay for breakfast if it's more than just muffins and toast.
We finished our trip by touring the Mormon Battalion and doing a little shopping at old town San Diego. The young women were awesome the whole time! They were always united and happy. This was such an uplifting trip. I'm grateful for a bishop that supported us on taking this trip, for Cory that agreed to come and help be a leader, and for the Chapin's also joining as a second leader couple.

No comments: